Tuesday, January 26, 2021

New York Style Breakfast Sandwhich


Ok, I’ll admit it. My guilty pleasures as a Registered Nurse are good eats and sleeping in whenever I can rarely afford to! With all the hustle and bustle life throws our way it sure does feel good to get a couple extra hours of snooze time. I have always been more of a night owl, but this breakfast makes me jump right out of bed (even in the early hours of the morning). I made brunch- what Americans consider to be breakfast but generally consumed at lunch time. This breakfast sandwich is full of good memories as growing up, my Father would always make this on the weekends. Yes, somedays he had to drag my teenaged self out of bed because if I had it my way, I would have slept all day! This was always worth it! 

I made a fried egg over medium (partially cooked, partially runny yolk) with American cheese, boiled/cooked low sodium ham, and on a sesame seed, braided baguette. I would have preferred a poppy seed baguette (rare, I know) but if you know my parents you know they were born in New York. After visiting New York, I frequently saw this combination on breakfast menus labeled as a “paper bag lunch”, and I do believe it is New-York inspired. I will leave the Yankee jokes alone but I will say this is one thing they got right! This breakfast combo always leaves me feeling satisfied and ready to take on the day. 

Usually, I will season with freshly ground black pepper and use “no sugar added” Heinz Ketchup as I feel that it has more of a vinegary taste which I prefer. I do not tend to have a sweet tooth, but I certainly enjoy my cheese and carbs! I try to incorporate low sodium into my diet whenever I can as our family has a history of high blood pressure and salt is in fact, the enemy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

New York Style Breakfast Sandwhich

Ok, I’ll admit it. My guilty pleasures as a Registered Nurse are good eats and sleeping in whenever I can rarely afford to! With all the hus...