Tuesday, January 19, 2021

"Healthier" KFC Famous Bowl

 

A classic twist on a Southern favorite, fast-food chain entrée.  Inspired by Kentucky Fried Chicken’s (KFC) famous bowl this is a comforting, hearty meal that everyone enjoys. If I could create a modern day version of what we now know to be Soul Food, inspired through African tradition and southern cuisine, this would be it! I recently had dental work a couple of months ago and struggled to soft, nutrient foods that I could eat to minimize dental pain. While scrolling through my food delivery app (door dash) I was reacquainted with one of my favorite fast food chain dishes. I tend to only “treat” myself with fast food on rare occasions as I am cautious of the ingredients I consume and pay careful attention to maintain my weight. When I discovered that I could prepare this at home, it was pure bliss! Most of my ingredients were obtained straight from Trader Joe’s, a primarily organic food chain. I have found that Trader Joe’s has great, healthy options for frozen food- although it is still important to be aware of salt content as frozen foods can sometimes contain a lot of salt. 

 

I used Trader Joe’s organic frozen chicken, colorful Trader Joe’s organic frozen sweet corn, McCormick’s brown gravy packet, a blend of pre-shredded Monterey Jack and Cheddar Cheeses, and frozen Trader Joe’s mashed potatoes. I know, a lot of frozen ingredients but most of them are used with health- conscious ingredients. I am a girl who loves her cheese! Semi balanced ingredients including chicken, potatoes, corn, and dairy and easy to prepare in under 30 minutes. I started by layering a bowl with mashed potatoes, cut up breaded chicken breast, layered with corn, topped with gravy and cheese. The hot, brown gravy melts this cheese into a thick, cheesy, goodness! For around $6-8 dollars you can go through your local KFC drive-through or you can prepare in bulk, at home, with quality ingredients- even substituting with grilled chicken if preferred. I like to make several portions and meal prep in the beginning of the week as this reheats nicely! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

New York Style Breakfast Sandwhich

Ok, I’ll admit it. My guilty pleasures as a Registered Nurse are good eats and sleeping in whenever I can rarely afford to! With all the hus...